Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > Developer Discussion > Graphics modification help.
User Name
Password

Old 10-24-2002, 09:36 AM   #1
manta
A Ghoul

Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Default Hotbar help

I am pretty new to UI crafting so is probably a silly question. I am attempting to take a hotbar that someone did and turn it horizontal instead of vertical. I have been able to move the inventory slots and the hotbar slots into the right possitions. My question is about the spellgem slots. no matter what i do I can not seem to get them to display. Is there something special i need to do with the buttons or something to get the spell gem slots to display?
manta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 04:58 AM   #2
Cormanth
A Shissar Defiler

Server: Zebuxoruk

The spellgem slots in the Hotkeys window are just like the rest of them. There are 3 different types of buttons in the Hot Keys window, hotbuttons, inventory slots, and spell gems. You would moved or change them all virtually the same.

However, as with all hot buttons, don't expect your spell gems to just 'be there' when you load EQ. Just like the hot buttons and inventory slots, you have to drag a spell gem icon over to the hotkey bar and place it in a box, otherwise it will just appear as an empty box.
Cormanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 07:59 PM   #3
manta
A Ghoul

Default omg

It has been there all the time !!! But now I cant seem to get the background image the right size. The original background .tga graphic is tall and skinny, and the one I am trying to get it to look like is shorter and wider. what I am seeing is the left side of my graphic only...like there is an invisible window that is only letting me see the left side of the graphic. I know I have all the right cx/cy correct because I can drag it arround. There is a place where I can change the cx/cy and I will see the whole graphic but it is "squeazed" into the same viewing space as I was seeing before. Very odd.

Thanks for your help!!
Old 10-25-2002, 09:50 PM   #4
Cormanth
A Shissar Defiler

Just out of curiosity... you changed this window from a tall narrow window to a short wide one? Did you change all of the window dimensions? Did you change the size of the window as well as the size of the graphics? And if you edited any of the .tga files, did you also create a new transparent layer for them?

-Cormanth
Old 10-26-2002, 12:05 PM   #5
manta
A Ghoul

I made my own new background 256x256 named the same name as the original and over wrote the file in the directory. Then in the screen section of the xml file I made the size whatever it was...like 200 x 100.
Old 10-27-2002, 10:17 PM   #6
faBBe
A Shissar Disciple

Server: -none-
Send a message via ICQ to faBBe

manta i'm with you there, I feel pretty confident so far with fiddling the XML , and I have found there is something really DIRTY with the spell gems. no matter what I tried it wouldnt use the graphics from a texture I defined myself, apparently I have to 'hack' the new graohics into the 'window_pieces02.tga'

Everything else I can define my new textures, and use graphics from within my textures, but spell gems , no-no..

. it would be good we look at it and clear up the matter..

Is there a UI out there which substantially modified the spell gems 'halo' and defined their own texture for it ?
Old 10-28-2002, 11:58 AM   #7
Cormanth
A Shissar Defiler

Cormanth chuckles softly.

What you are dealing with would be the SpellGemBackground and the SpellGemHolder. And just so you know, these are one of the handfuls of things that Sony has hardcoded into the XML Schema/Client (also the Buff Icon backgrounds and Spell Book Icon backgrounds, which both share the same graphic).

In truth, the only way to change the artistic look of the gems or their backgrounds is to change the contents of their respective files. You can make an entirely new window_pieces02.tga file, but it still has to have the same name. Everything else about the gems and icons you can change. You can change how they look in the file, and you can change their size and position in the xml. You just can't change which file they use, nor which animation is used.

Just one of the little nasties of trying to change what someone else has created. You can't always have it the way you want.

Manta, if you're still having trouble with this, why don't you paste a bit of the code here so maybe myself and others can have a look at what you are trying to do, and maybe give you a few pointers. Paste one of the SpellGem sections or something.

-Cormanth
Old 10-29-2002, 02:55 PM   #8
manta
A Ghoul

ok great...ill put something together tonight when i get home from work.

Thanks.
Old 10-30-2002, 02:52 PM   #9
manta
A Ghoul

Default spellgem samples

Ok, here is a demo of what I am trying to do. I know this is simple and has been done before, but with all my efforts to try to figure out how to get it done...I have failed.

Here is the link: http://www.comitron.com/mydocs/spellgems.gif

The thing that confuses me is how to setup the background so that it is displayed correctly, and in which files do I need to modify the xml so that the spell gems actually appear where I want them to.

BTW..I would like to use the Arcane Spell Casting Mod graphics too.

Thanks a lot