Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > General Discussion > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Old 11-18-2003, 01:06 PM   #16
Taleisin

first post now has a postbattle pic, thanks to Gaston the Necromancer. :-)
Old 11-18-2003, 02:46 PM   #17
Zantaklawz
Manaetic Prototype IX

Server: Bristlebane, The Nameless, Xegony, Veeshan, Firiona Vie, Vallon Zek, and Venril Sathir
Send a message via AIM to Zantaklawz Send a message via Yahoo to Zantaklawz

Now if the programmers didn't think that mob was ever going to be killed, why then assign hit points. If it was never meant to be killed, programmers can simply make it unable to be attacked (i.e., like the scarecrow in Misty Thicket that is surrounded by rats. You can't target it, so you can't kill it). So the programmers had some inkling that someone(s) will be able to do it. They didn't know when, but they knew it would happen.

Proud to be an at EQ Roleplayers! Join us and spread the word!

Come and sit for a while and listen to the Tales of Zantaklawz! Tell one! Tell all!
Zantaklawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 03:33 PM   #18
Kudane
Co-Founder

Server: Xegony
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Quote:
Originally posted by Zantaklawz
Now if the programmers didn't think that mob was ever going to be killed, why then assign hit points. If it was never meant to be killed, programmers can simply make it unable to be attacked (i.e., like the scarecrow in Misty Thicket that is surrounded by rats. You can't target it, so you can't kill it). So the programmers had some inkling that someone(s) will be able to do it. They didn't know when, but they knew it would happen.

Its not that the programers never wanted the mob killed, its that it was designed to be unkillable within the rules of the game. IE it had hit points, it could take damage, it had a mana pool. And I am sure your right that they said "some day this guy will go down too" but in almost 5 years, he hasnt..

The Scarecrow in Misty Thicket is for a quest BTW.. he becomes targetable when "activated" just so you know.

I remember when the sleeper was woke on Zeb...*shudder* it was talked about for quite some time!

.: Have a question? Read this :.
[ F.A.Q ]
Kudane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 04:04 PM   #19
Kudane
Co-Founder

Server: Xegony

Quote:
Originally posted by Taleisin
first post now has a postbattle pic, thanks to Gaston the Necromancer. :-)

moved to the EQI server and made a thumbnail to save on load time and bandwidth. Not sure whos home account that was but in one day it could have used a months worth of bandwidth.

Kudane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 04:09 PM   #20
Taleisin

Quote:
Originally posted by Kudane
moved to the EQI server and made a thumbnail to save on load time and bandwidth. Not sure whos home account that was but in one day it could have used a months worth of bandwidth.

hehe opps, thanks Kudane
Old 11-18-2003, 08:24 PM   #21
Weskat
A Tempest Toad

Server: Tunare - mostly retired

Yes, it was impressive to watch bazaar spam turn into a play by play of this battle.

Big Congratz to all involved, and the effect was much farther reaching then they may have realized at the time. The effect on the EQ2 storyline remains to be seen.

Kinda annoyed that there was no serverwide/systemwide announcement of Kerafym's death by SOE, not that it was really required as I am sure that 99.9% of the people on at the time knew it happened through /ooc's/guild chat/group chat/channel chat.
Weskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 09:31 PM   #22
Togras
A Shissar Disciple

Server: Ayonae Ro

Personally, I think it takes some of the fun out of it.

The mob's entire charm was that it was a massive, unkillable mob that would strike fear in the hearts of the people of Norrath. A destructive force that couldn't be stopped...

...until today.

Now it's killed, with a fairly primative tactic (just assembly line ressing). I say Kerafyrm should've AE dted at 10% with a shout like 'I've just been toying with you, mortals! Begone, inferior spawn of Norrath!'

Kerafyrm was a power that could kill Veeshan. What does this say about the Wurmqueen?
Old 11-19-2003, 01:56 AM   #23
Aumelen
A Gray Wolf

The storyline doesn't matter. It can be changed in light of the Sleeper being killed. Perhaps in EQ2 it comes to light that it was a ghost that was on the rampage while the real Sleeper hid away. /shrug
Aumelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 02:20 AM   #24
Azuth
A Snow Cougar

Actually tonight SOE had several server wide messages. Each one just a bit about the epic battle.

Wish I could have seen the fight.
(profiles coming soon)
Azuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 11:24 AM   #25
Catweazel
A Ghoul

For those interested here is the systemwide announcement (with a couple of comments added in):

<SYSTEMWIDE_MESSAGE>: Brenlo : In the darkness the shout to engage was heard. Seconds later a huge burst of magical energy could be felt as the Wizards and Shadow Knights engaged, and huge volleys of arrows begin to rain down as one against their target.
(for those interested most dmg was done by wizards and rangers, melee was present to take the DT and melee damage and clerics rezzed them as they died)
<SYSTEMWIDE_MESSAGE>: Brenlo : Over three hours had past since the epic confrontation began, then there was silence. As a cold freezing wind blew across the field of battle, hundreds had died and many more lay injured on the ground.
(according to logs of the battle over 1300 deaths counted)
<SYSTEMWIDE_MESSAGE>: Brenlo : All was silent again for a brief moment as the image of the legendary Kerafyrm lay lifeless at their feet. Suddenly, the cries of joy and accomplishment began to echo through the decrepit hall and then rain across the land of Norrath.
(thousands listened in on serverwide chat channels)
<SYSTEMWIDE_MESSAGE>: Brenlo : The once warring clans of Ascending Dawn, Wudan, and Magus Imperialis Magicus had put there personal battles aside and come together united as one to accomplish the impossible.
<SYSTEMWIDE_MESSAGE>: Brenlo : They had triumphed where all others before them had failed, they had slain the Legendary Kerafyrm. As the victors departed the ancient tomb, rumors began to spread across the world of Rallos Zek. Rumors became Stories. Stories became Legend.
<SYSTEMWIDE_MESSAGE>: Brenlo : Yet, the Legend of the impossible task they had accomplished together could only be truly told by those that were there. Their story will be remember on Norrath forever.
Catweazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 03:23 PM   #26
Weskat
A Tempest Toad

Thanks for the post Catweazel, I was at work last night when those went out so I didn't get anything other than "there was a system wide message about the Sleeper" or something to that effect.
Old 11-19-2003, 07:11 PM   #27
Teddyboy420
A Snow Cougar

Server: Firiona Vie

Does anyone have a good site or source of info on THe Sleeper? I.e. who The Sleeper is, where it came from, why it was sleeping, etc. etc. Finding hard, factual information on stuff like this isn't easy. Could someone maybe point me in the right direction please?
4:20
Teddyboy420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 07:52 PM   #28
Weskat
A Tempest Toad

Try this for info on the Sleeper. About 2/3 of the way down the page after all the rumor stuff.

Obviously, as of this post anyway, the page has not been updated for the recent (and only) kill.
Old 11-20-2003, 02:54 PM   #29
nepper
A Gray Wolf

Default system wide messages at last...

They may have messed up the first encounter, and done nothing when the feat was accomplished, but at least they had the courtesy to put a little poetry and majesty into the deed in their messages. I actually felt a little bit of a chill, and a deep sense of awe when I read the system wides... Truely, a legendary feat worthy of opening a cast and gathering in one of those dusty, empty taverns to tell the tale...

Taytm Brokenarrow
nepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 04:52 PM   #30
Barrowight
A Bat

Seems like a boring way to spend an evening... especially with no reward other than to say he is dead.

Ah well, congrats to you that managed it
Barrowight is offline   Reply With Quote