Go Back   EQInterface Forums > General Discussion > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Old 04-09-2004, 01:36 PM   #1
ÆÆÆÆ
A Shissar Defiler

Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Default HTML help, please!

Hello! Does anyone know how to put in a way for people to not be able to right click (thus not being able to save) files from a website? I've seen it done on other websites. What is the HTML code for it?
ÆÆÆÆ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 09:30 PM   #2
Garryck
A Shissar Disciple

Paste this into the <head> section of each page you want to block right-clicking on:

Code:
<script language="JavaScript"> <!-- var message="Sorry, we don't allow that on this site!."; function click(e) { if (document.all) { if (event.button == 2) { alert(message); return false; } } if (document.layers) { if (e.which == 3) { alert(message); return false; } } } if (document.layers) { document.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEDOWN); } document.onmousedown=click; // --> </script>

/sheepishly waves "Hello!" as he performs a cursory run-by posting

Last edited by Garryck : 04-09-2004 at 11:31 PM.
Garryck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 07:11 AM   #3
Inokis
Pale Scrawny Guy

Server: Bristlebane // Erollisi Marr
Send a message via Yahoo to Inokis

Just FYI, anyone who turns off javascript or uses a Mac can still right click.
Old 04-10-2004, 11:19 AM   #4
mrbeasley
A Fire Beetle

Server: Mith'Marr

Quote:
Originally posted by Inokis
Just FYI, anyone who turns off javascript or uses a Mac can still right click.

Good call on bringing that up - also - most of the mozillas - and Opera I think - turning of JS for just a second is pretty trivial. ( a 2 click process).

Also, most browsers (including IE) allow you to save the whole web page from File...Save As... and the java script workaround does nothing to prevent that.

Truth is - the file's ALREADY on their computer (unless they have caching off - most don't) somewhere, otherwise the browsers not rendering it. Its just a matter of keeping it there.

I have Web Development exp. going back to before it was cool, and I usually advise people that a copyright notice is the best (sadly) protection. Put one on the page, and put one in the comments (a lot of idiots are too stupid to remove the comments when they rip your info...)

If its not worth thumping them legally about it - realiistically, its not really worth getting upset about either. The web was just not designed to protect IP (neither were many previous information tansmittal services if you think about it).

So to sum up:
1) If your site has something worth saving, thats a good thing, and people are going to save it - it when they start republishing it you've got problems - and from a technical aspect, you're out of luck.
2) But it's not that bad. If you can prove real loss, you're going to at least be able to get them to remove the property (a letter to the webmaster, then if they don't play nice , the ISP/Host usually does the trick), and if its not a real loss, its not worth loosing sleep over.

With this being said however, that pop up when people right click is a really good place to put your copyright warning. Does it work great? No. Does it work better than nothing? You bet cha. Also, when ever putting a 'do not copy' clause, ALWAYS provide some sort of contact to folks can ask you how they can legally use information on your site.
Even somthing like click on the contact me link at the bottom of this page ...
mrbeasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 12:45 PM   #5
ÆÆÆÆ
A Shissar Defiler

Thanks a lot, guys!

Worked like a charm, Garryck.

Also, I would LOVE to put a copyright warning, but I don't have a copyright on the material yet... how would I go about getting one? The main reason I'm asking all this is to protect people from "stealing" my songs off my music website. I update it daily with a new song of mine, so would I have to copyright every new song I make every time I update the site?
Old 04-11-2004, 11:41 PM   #6
ÆÆÆÆ
A Shissar Defiler

I was also wondering, how do I make it so that when someone loads my website, there is a trail image trailing behind the cursor (like something such as sparkles, or music notes, etc.)?

Please Help.
Old 04-16-2004, 01:43 PM   #7
Travaar
A Ghoul

Server: Tunare
Send a message via ICQ to Travaar Send a message via Yahoo to Travaar

I'm pretty sure anything you write on your website is automatically copyrighted. It's yours as long as it's original material. All you need to do is add some kind of notice that it is copyrighted material. If I'm wrong on this, someone please correct me.
Travaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 01:53 PM   #8
Dolby
Lord Dolby of Veeshan

Server: Veeshan

Under the DMCA (The Digital Millennium Copyright Act) your work is automaticly copywritten as long as you can prove you made it.
Dolby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 01:56 PM   #9
Dolby
Lord Dolby of Veeshan

Quote:
Originally posted by ÆÆÆÆ
I was also wondering, how do I make it so that when someone loads my website, there is a trail image trailing behind the cursor (like something such as sparkles, or music notes, etc.)?

Please Help.

Check out hotscripts.com

Just my personal opinion... I really dislike mouse trials on webpages.
Old 04-16-2004, 02:58 PM   #10
Inokis
Pale Scrawny Guy

Server: Bristlebane // Erollisi Marr
Send a message via Yahoo to Inokis

there are times they can add to the page, but overall they are an annoyance. For instance on the holidays having a trail of snowflakes etc. I wouldn't suggest everyday use.
Inokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 06:39 PM   #11
ÆÆÆÆ
A Shissar Defiler

Quote:
Originally posted by Dolby
Under the DMCA (The Digital Millennium Copyright Act) your work is automaticly copywritten as long as you can prove you made it.

Yay! The bringer of good news! thanks!
Old 04-16-2004, 06:46 PM   #12
Genghiz Cohen
Cry Spoon!!

Server: Druzzil Ro

the rightclick issue is np to work around even with scripting turned on... simply press and hold the right button outside the actual page area... say next to your links up top... drag the mouse in and release the button and you will get the good old menu to use... =P

CastersRealm have a new, mildly annoying thing, though... you cannot highlight stuff hehe.. oh well.. I'm sure there are ways to circumvent that too.. if not, there's always the turning off scripting =)
Old 04-17-2004, 03:26 PM   #13
ÆÆÆÆ
A Shissar Defiler

Does anyone know how to restrict deep linking to parts of the website? (anything other than the homepage/index page)
Old 04-17-2004, 08:02 PM   #14
Dolby
Lord Dolby of Veeshan

Do you mean hotlinking? Head over to sitepointforums.com and do a search on hotlinking. You can use .htaccess so files can only be loaded if the referer id is of your own sites.

I do something similar with our pictures in the downloads area but its with in the php. Found lots of people using tkings class animations for their avatar and just hotlinking. So I had some fun with that.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:00 PM   #15
ÆÆÆÆ
A Shissar Defiler

Is there a DOS command for PRINT SCREEN? (Sorry it's a bit off topic)