Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > General Discussion > Help ! ? ! ?
User Name
Password

Old 07-05-2004, 07:29 PM   #1
Novawulf
A Glorified Port Mule

Server: The Nameless
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Default Whats the Limit to which you can load a UI in a particular zone?

Hi,

I've been modding for a while and one of the biggest bugs is that after so many UI reloads I get dumped to desktop and getting a message saying my UI caused the error .. check the UIerror log and no error found .. It seems about 10 or so reloads and it dumps you ... anyone else gets this? If so what is the limit and anyway around it?

Thanks

Novawulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 08:19 PM   #2
Turlo
Featured Artist

Featured Artist

I get this as well. I usually get a wierd ANSI character in my chat window the load before the crash. Never could figure this one out.

"Ah, but you HAVE heard of me."
Turlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 03:34 AM   #3
Qinadwen
An Executioner

Server: Venril Sathir

So .... after reloading your UI say 8 times, would it help zoning into a new zone? Would one be able to load a new UI more? I get this also...

Baron Qinadwen Loreseeker, Koada'Dal Conjurer of the 56th plane.

Thomas Jefferson:
"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases."
Qinadwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 10:46 PM   #4
Novawulf
A Glorified Port Mule

I tried loading to a new zone and it seems to work, but when I get on a streak and just making small position changes last thing I want to do is go find a zone and zone in .. but if thats what I need to do then thats what I need to do ... just with they could fix this issue as well ... glad I'm not the only one with this problem
Old 07-20-2004, 10:45 AM   #5
Qualtar
A Snow Griffin

I tried this yesterday, as I have the same problem.... figured it would be best to stand next to a wayfarer magus and have them port me around to get around this. I found out that it dont matter if you zone or not, as I crashed a few times on the first UI reload after zoning into the new zones.... crazy bug that needs to be fixed.
Qualtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 11:05 AM   #6
steppin
An Icepaw Kobold

Default novawolf

Nothing to do with ui (though the same happens to me)... but i had to stop and say you have a VERY APPEALING signature ))
steppin
steppin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 09:39 AM   #7
lcalabrese
A Hill Giant

Server: The Seventh Hammer
Angry annoying. very, very annoying.

From another post, but this one's more relevant so I'll copy it here (this post to be exact).

Quote:
I never bothered to count, I just watch the HDD light on my system with fingers crossed. If it reads about 4 or so times a second, I breathe a sigh of relief. If it stays on, constantly reading, I start cursing and sometimes throw something across the room and wait the 3+ minutes for it to decide there's been a ghost-error and tell me to look in the uierrors file for the error that didn't get reported. Then I wait for the bloody thing to load up again, only to tell me to wait another minute for the server to remove my now LD'd character. I thought at first it was some kind of file-lock error or something. How did this one slip under SOE's radar!?

Has anyone bothered petitioning SOE about this? I can't be the only one who's really "" and "" about this!

If zoning seems to work, I'll have to try that, but judging by the dates of the posts in this thread, this bug is at least 8 months old!! Umm....does either "fix me" or "publish a UI renderer/tester client and tell us to use that and stop using EQ to test our UIs" come to anyone's mind??

Like the title says: "annoying. very, very annoying."
lcalabrese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 03:45 AM   #8
Novawulf
A Glorified Port Mule

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcalabrese

If zoning seems to work, I'll have to try that, but judging by the dates of the posts in this thread, this bug is at least 8 months old!! Umm....does either "fix me" or "publish a UI renderer/tester client and tell us to use that and stop using EQ to test our UIs" come to anyone's mind??

Like the title says: "annoying. very, very annoying."

Oh this bug has been around longer then 8 months .. its probably been there since day 1 of the new interface. Took me that long to get so fed up to post here. I've been away from EQ1 for a few months, playing EQ2 and SWG but I've started to play again off and on and I've had to fix my UI again since DoN came out but still get the same thing ... and no zoning isn't working for me.. I still go thru the phantom errors and waiting for the 1018 to go away (tho a reboot of the comp seems to reset things faster locally and remotely)
Old 03-11-2005, 07:28 AM   #9
SolsticemoonBB
A Tundra Mammoth

Talking

Hahahaha!
Here, I thought I was the only one who didn't get positioning absolutely perfect on the first try. I thought I was the only one who would reload my ui 20 times, moving objects one pixel to the left until I was satisfied with the balance! (And, of course, crashing occasionally, along the way.)
This thread just made my day!

BTW, I've had minor success with camping to character select or to server select after four to five in-game loads. No guarantees because I'm good at causing my interface to crash due to errors after that many successful loads, too.
SolsticemoonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 06:12 AM   #10
jaqq
A Gray Wolf

And to think I thought this was just me.
I wonder if the devs are aware of it for sure, or even if they care.

I assume there is a memory leak in the UI Code. Every time you load the UI, it probably doesnt release the old memory. Once you reach the limit they set aside for the UI memory space.. BOOM.
jaqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 09:46 AM   #11
Braydin
A Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqq
And to think I thought this was just me.
I wonder if the devs are aware of it for sure, or even if they care.

I assume there is a memory leak in the UI Code. Every time you load the UI, it probably doesnt release the old memory. Once you reach the limit they set aside for the UI memory space.. BOOM.

I thought my hard drive was going bad. Last night I opened my inventory and most of it was white. I had been in the zone for a long time and had not done any reloads in that zone. I had earlier done a few as I was installing and tweaking a UI and had to go back to default many times to find the hot spot on a window or to unlock it ect, so that I could move it in the new UI.

Anyway so my Invy screen is white and causes my comp to crunch really hard and I reload.. BAM Desktop and the UI errors message! No error though.
Braydin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 09:51 AM   #12
Sylphan
A Predatory Creeper

There's definitely some memory that isn't released properly. Especially when leaving one zone and entering another, but it also gradually leaks memory while playing within a zone. I have a fixed size swap file, it can't just grow forever, so it becomes real obvious when EQ has wasted most of it. It also depends on your OS... EQ on Windows 98 seems to have different memory issues than on Windows XP.

The best warning for me is the map window -- if I bring up the map and it's blank, I know that I'll probably crash next time I zone.
Sylphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 09:52 AM   #13
Ghismonda
A Treant

Server: 7th hammer
Send a message via AIM to Ghismonda Send a message via MSN to Ghismonda

It's not just me? /rejoice
Ghismonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 12:28 AM   #14
Novawulf
A Glorified Port Mule

Memory leaks sounds quite plausible.. Never did think of that. Thought it was a hard coded value that dev's put in to save the system. Reloading UI's on a continual basis has to put strain on the servers. If enough do it I can see some problems..
But Mem leaks .. fits as it seems to crash after a set value. I'm using Xp but I usually leave XP to manage my swap file. I have 2GB ram so I usually don't run into many problems save for something like this.
But for this to be going on for as long as it has, probably since they put the new UI in the game ...
Old 04-14-2005, 12:56 AM   #15
jaqq
A Gray Wolf

I doubt the amount of ram anyone has, nor any memory management techniques wouild affect it. The UI is a sub-set of EQ and I would be 99% confident that they have it in some sort of memory space jail to conatain its usage. I would be suprised if its getting more than say 32k of ram if that.

I spent a few months working on WOW ui's which let you see this space, and let you configure it.

My point being, thats why you run out after a few reloads. They probably allocated like 32k to the UI. If i had to guess, I'd say the EQ ui uses 3 -4 K at most depending on storylines and graphics. There really isnt much there since there is no comand based struct language like LUA or anything going on.

I've put it on my to do list to bug the devs about it. It is prolly one of those long lost un reported bugs that is like 3 lines of code tof fix.
jaqq is offline   Reply With Quote