Go Back   EQInterface Forums > General Discussion > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Old 03-15-2005, 11:09 AM   #16
Angahran
Premium Member

Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Default one other thought...

Something you might also consider, to help in the future.
Microsoft are currently offering deals for people who purchased XP 'in good faith' but recieved illegal copies, to get legitimate copies. Not sure on the details, probably involves providing details of who you purchased your copy of XP from.

Ang.
Angahran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 11:14 PM   #17
Malvern
A Ghoul

Server:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÆÆÆÆ
My computer is about 5 years old now. It's been progressively getting worse over the last year or so. About two years ago, we had someone come over to fix our slow speed on the computer. So he came over and installed Windows XP for us (without telling us he did it illegally, not leaving the install disk). We previously had Windows 98. It took a while to get used to XP but now I'm attached to it.

Before the installation of XP, when I would play a game like EverQuest, it'd take me upwards of 4 minutes to "zone" from one part of the game to another. After the fix, it took me sometimes only 5 seconds or so, which is something to be envious of. However, since then the computer has been downgraded in performance once again. In EverQuest it can take up to 6 minutes sometimes to "zone" from one place to another, and many programs are slow to respond; it even takes several minutes to populate lists on drop-down boxes and in the "Add or Remove Programs" option in the Control Panel. Also, starting about a year ago, the monitor has been displaying gray streaks or lines to the side of anything dark, IE text, certain pictures, etc. I would take a screen shot to show you, but since then my PRINT SCRN key has also stopped working. On top of all this, the monitor that I'm currently using is extremely washed-out and faded in appearance. In order to get it to look quasi-normal I have to make Brightness to 0 and Contrast to 100... And then it looks very faded-out, anyway.

The problem with the wash-out appearance is probably in this monitor, but the fine lines and streaks aren't; it's done that with this monitor and another we tried.

And I can't seem to find the source of all of the pop-ups I'm getting, such as clickspring and xadsq.offeroptimizer.

Anyone able to help me find some solutions? Any ideas are welcome!

I'd post my system specifics, but I dunno where to find a list of them...

I've read most of what has been replied about this, and I'll throw my 2 cents in also. I work at a computer company that deals with these type of issues all the time. Not to mention I've fixed up numerous computers for friends and family. Some of their computers were about the same age as yours.

1. Yes, Ad-Aware and Spybot can be used and aren't bad programs. However, since Microsoft came out with their Anti-Spyware program, and I've tested it against the other programs, and I like it better for a number of reasons. Whatever you use, make sure you have the definitions updated.

2. Run your windows updates, and make sure to keep windows updated. This is even more important than having an anti-virus program. I have NEVER had a virus (and that's over the last 13-15 years), and have only ever had an anti-virus program for about 1 year of that time. Currently I am not using one, but run regular online scans, which have never come back with anything. Keep Windows updated, and be careful what you open in emails (and what you do online), have an anti-virus program, and you should be safe.

3. www.antivirus.com is one of the best online scanning sites you can use (and it's free). They have even done some recent updates and changes and it's even nicer. I have heard of and used Panda, and wasn't a big fan, as I had to remove some junk it left behind.

4. As to a firewall, there is TOO much stock put into them. A firewall is mainly for keeping people from hacking your PC. That usually only happens to a business anyway. Yes, there are SOME, and I mean a rare few, viruses that can be blocked with a firewall. However, if you do as stated in point (2), you are safer with that route than a firewall. Also, a hardware firewall is MUCH better than software. Besides, if you update to XP2, it has a built in software firewall. Also, EQ notes that you "could" have problems running EQ if running a firewall. Side note, I wouldn't be surprised to see people make comments about upgrading to XP2, but I have personally upgraded about 6 computers, including both of my own, and have not had a single problem. Most home users DON'T have any problems with it. Yes, a business would be more likely to run into something, but home users are generally free from problems.

5. Defrag is over rated, yes, it is good to do, but don't lose sleep over it. Defragging is the LAST thing I bother doing on a system I work on. The only thing defragging does, is put files in order so that they can be accessed quicker. Now, in XP, files are indexed for quicker access, so that decreases somewhat how useful defrag is. Also, unless your HD is full or close to, it won't make a huge difference, and if you have already done defrag in the last 3 months, it will make NO difference to do it again. Like I mentioned (so nobody jumps on my back about this), there is nothing wrong with running defrag on the HD, but it'd be my LAST step.

6. Yes, monitor sounds like it might be going bad, and you could be having video card problems like people stated on here.

7. Check your RAM, the person that put on XP should have checked that first. Microsoft says you should have a min. of 256 for XP. I have a friend who bought a used PC. The PC was sold to the original owner with XP, but only 128 RAM. Dumb. I cleaned up the spyware and viruses, and installed another 128, and it runs like a dream now.

8. The slowdown you are having is going to be MOSTLY related to spyware/virus problems. If you are still having pop-ups, then you didn't get all the spyware off. You WILL notice a big performance upgrade once you get the spyware off, so if that doesn't happen, keep looking. Also, be VERY careful with hijackthis, it is a good program, but, most people shouldn't be messing around with it. Spybot, Ad-Aware, Microsoft's Anti-Spyware are the best to use. I like to run a virus and spyware scan in safe mode also, you can sometimes clean up/find stuff that you might have problems with in normal bootup.

9. Sorry for so many points PC's aren't easy to fix all the time. One example is, a lot of people like to suggest (including some "good" PC magazines) doing a format and fresh install of XP once a year. This is the dumbest idea I've ever heard. There is no need to spend 1-2 hours every year (much more depending on how many other programs you have to reinstall, plus doing all the EQ updates and such) on such a drastic move. Most PC slowdowns are from virus/spyware, and people just not keeping their PC cleaned up. Remove programs (using Add/Remove Programs) that you aren't using, and aren't planning to use again. Also, I noticed you had Quicktime installed, not a problem there, but, if you haven't already done so, do the following. Go into the preferences for Quicktime, and disable it loading on bootup, there is no reason to have it using up RAM until you actually use it. There is my 2 Cents (maybe more!!, sorry about that).

Hope you get things running good!
Malvern is offline   Reply With Quote