Go Back   EQInterface Forums > Interface Gallery Discussion > Archive
User Name
Password

Old 09-29-2002, 09:20 AM   #31
Zyrik
An Icepaw Kobold

Server: Bristle-Bane
Question

Is there anyway to be able to switch from the timer window to whatever window I'm gonna put it on? Like putting the .tga in a seperate folder and load it then. Then when I need the window just load my custom folder.

Would that work ?
Old 09-29-2002, 12:52 PM   #32
Arista
TimerMod Creator

Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Thanks to all for the kind words, they are much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally posted by Feynan
Is it possible to use both the Digital timer and Slider timer at the same time? I downloaded both, the Digital into the pet window and the Slider into the action window, got both .tga files, but when I loaded the UI it would default the UI back to its normal form, disregarding all UI changes I've ever made. If I deleted one of the timers however, then the UI returned to normal, but I only had 1 of the timers.

Yes, it is possible to have both the digital timer and the slider timer at the same time (but keep in mind that reloading the UI to reset the digital timer will reset all animations, including the bars in the slider timers). While developing the slider timer, I had the slider timer in one window and the digital timer in another window, in order to verify that the bar is on track with the specified duration. Could you do the following: try to load both again, let it kick you back out to default, then log out and look at the contents of UIErrors.txt in your main EverQuest directory. Look for any line that has "Error" in it ("Warning" lines are normal), and post it here or send me a PM. I'll take a look and see if there is anything I need to change in my XML. Thanks.

Edit: I forgot that I did rename some items after testing, so the two timers actually won't coexist at the moment due to duplicates. I will update the XML generator tonight to address this issue.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kiradok
I love this thing, but I have the same problem getting the xml to save... I get a 0kb file. Cutting and Pasting to the notepad, then saving didn't work either, because it looses all the spaces in front of the code lines. Running Win2k, and IE6, with no download accelerator programs, so I can't figure out what's wrong. I tried to save some other files (pictures and stuff) to see if I had a similar problem on other sites, and they came out fine.

You're right, this sounds like the same problem that someone else was having. Just now, I've changed the XML generator to explicitly set Content-Type to "text/xml" in the response header. I have no idea if this will fix your problem, but give it a try and let me know. If that still doesn't work, the other person was able to resolve the problem by using another computer to download and save the XML, so if you have access to another system, try it with that one as well.

Quote:
Originally posted by Zyrik
Is there anyway to be able to switch from the timer window to whatever window I'm gonna put it on? Like putting the .tga in a seperate folder and load it then. Then when I need the window just load my custom folder.

Yes, that will work, if you don't mind reloading the UI whenever you want to switch. First, duplicate the exact folder you will be using for your normal UI. Then, download and place the timer XML and TGA in one of those folders (overwriting any XML that is there with the same name), which will become your "timer" configuration.

Last edited by Arista : 09-30-2002 at 12:02 PM.
Old 09-29-2002, 02:09 PM   #33
Arista
TimerMod Creator

Exclamation Workaround for those with "Save As" problems

For those who see the generated XML, but cannot use the browser's File > Save As option:

An alternative way of saving the XML is to right-click on the page, and select View Source from the context menu. This should cause a notepad window to open up with the XML. You can then use notepad's File > Save As option to save the XML file.

A reminder: copy-and-paste of the visual XML from IE won't result in a valid XML file, because IE inserts minus-signs in front of every element (for opening and closing the node). Use the above workaround instead.
Old 09-29-2002, 02:53 PM   #34
myysst
A Bat

First I just want to say - LOVE your work this is a huge contribution to the chanter community imo.

We are considering using one of your mods for our clerics to make our CH rotations more consistent. The one I would like to try is your slider timer, but since it seems to be built for chanters the second increments go from 00 seconds to 06 seconds. Would it be possible to add more options, a 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 07, and 08 second option?

Myysst Majere
Phantasmist
Phoenix Ascendant
7th Hammer
Old 09-29-2002, 05:52 PM   #35
Lelyia Bluerive
A Bat

Hrm IE gives me an error that the source code cant be viewed maybe this works better if I were to d/l netscape and use that instead.
<A href="http://darkhorizon.angrybunni.org/">Dark Horizon</a>
Old 09-29-2002, 08:07 PM   #36
Arista
TimerMod Creator

Quote:
Originally posted by myysst
We are considering using one of your mods for our clerics to make our CH rotations more consistent. The one I would like to try is your slider timer, but since it seems to be built for chanters the second increments go from 00 seconds to 06 seconds. Would it be possible to add more options, a 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 07, and 08 second option?

Sure, I'll add that option in my next update. Currently it only supports 6-second increments mainly because in-game ticks are 6 seconds (didn't realize there was a demand for other increments). Also, the bar is exactly 120 pixels long (120 frames). I wanted to keep the frame duration (in milliseconds) divisible by 120, so that each frame can have the same duration.

For any duration (in seconds) that is not a multiple of 3 seconds, the XML generator will have to round up/down to the nearest millisecond for each frame, and make sure that all the frames add up to the full duration. It'll require some changes to the code, but is definitely doable. I'll post again when I get around to making and testing the changes.

By the way, did you by any chance send me a tell yesterday? I was logging out, and right before my screen went blank, a tell showed up in my chat box. I didn't get a chance to catch the full name, but it looked similar to yours (started with M, had some y's and s's). If it was you, sorry I didn't reply, since I was logged out by the time I realized I got a tell.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lelyia Bluerive
Hrm IE gives me an error that the source code cant be viewed maybe this works better if I were to d/l netscape and use that instead.

Lelyia - I got your email and wrote a reply, but when I sent the message it got bounced. I haven't tried using Netscape so I don't know if that'll work, but here is another workaround. If all else fails, you can copy and paste the visual XML as you've done, BUT you'll need to manually remove the minus signs (use the search-and-replace function to replace "- " with blank).
Old 09-29-2002, 11:53 PM   #37
sum1ntheus
A Hill Giant

Default how about this window?

Can you make this work with the feedback window?

I have made a timer with your wedsite for the help window but i run my map mod in help so would like to know how to make the mod work in the feedback window. thanks.
Old 09-30-2002, 12:41 AM   #38
Amzin
A Fire Beetle

Server: Saryrn
Default Trouble with Timer

I downloaded the timer, got the xml file (had to use view source, then it worked fine), loaded it up..... but the timer doesn't appear. It simply isn't there, I get no weird UI errors, I've checked the UI file that stores window locations, it should be on screen, and displayed, but it won't show up. I've tried resetting everything to default, but it still wouldn't show up. Anyone else having this problem?
Old 09-30-2002, 01:03 AM   #39
Iluvatar
A Shissar Disciple

Server: Solusek Ro

Quote:
Unfortunately, resetting animations requires reloading the UI (/load folder 1), ...

Hmm, What about Buttons? Buttons got different animations for different states of mouse pointers hovering over it.
You know, the animations you have to reference to in th Button Draw Template...

So what if you would make a button that has as it's normal state an animation that resembles a timer?
So if you hover over the button or click it or whatever and then leave it alone again it would theoretically start the normal button animation again, thus having a resetted timer...

I've been thinking about that for quite some time, I just couldn't find the time to try it our, but maybe you got more time (and patience) on your hands than I have.
Old 09-30-2002, 01:13 AM   #40
Arista
TimerMod Creator

Default Re: how about this window?

Quote:
Originally posted by sum1ntheus
Can you make this work with the feedback window?

Yes, the feedback window and bug window have been added as new options for the timer. To toggle these windows, use /f for the feedback window and /bug for the bug window.

Quote:
Originally posted by Amzin
I downloaded the timer, got the xml file (had to use view source, then it worked fine), loaded it up..... but the timer doesn't appear. It simply isn't there, I get no weird UI errors, I've checked the UI file that stores window locations, it should be on screen, and displayed, but it won't show up. I've tried resetting everything to default, but it still wouldn't show up. Anyone else having this problem?

Just a guess here, but it's possible the timer was not installed to the correct location. Make sure you create a new folder under ....EverQuest\uifiles\, for example, ....EverQuest\uifiles\timer, and that the XML and TGA files are both placed in there. Putting them in the folder named "default" will not work, as that folder's contents get overwritten whenever you start the game. See the EQInterface FAQ on installing mods for more info.

Assuming you had the timer installed correctly, make sure the window is toggled on. You've made sure that the window position is on the screen, but it is possible (again just a guess here) that you didn't toggle the window to visible. Some windows will always start up hidden regardless of the "Show" parameter in the .INI file. Check the options panel under "Keyboard" for the relevant hotkeys (except for the help window, which must be toggled with the window selector). Hope this helps.

Last edited by Arista : 09-30-2002 at 04:18 AM.
Old 09-30-2002, 01:26 AM   #41
Arista
TimerMod Creator

Quote:
Originally posted by Iluvatar
Hmm, What about Buttons? Buttons got different animations for different states of mouse pointers hovering over it.
You know, the animations you have to reference to in th Button Draw Template...

So what if you would make a button that has as it's normal state an animation that resembles a timer?
So if you hover over the button or click it or whatever and then leave it alone again it would theoretically start the normal button animation again, thus having a resetted timer...

I've been thinking about that for quite some time, I just couldn't find the time to try it our, but maybe you got more time (and patience) on your hands than I have.

It's a good idea, but as far as I know it doesn't work. Animations do not restart in the way you describe - the frame that gets displayed depends on the time you last reloaded the UI, and nothing else. It will show frames as if it's been running continuously since the last reload of the UI.

Someone else came up with a very similar idea, but upon trying it found that it didn't work (see this thread for the details). Here is a quote from that thread:
Quote:
Originally posted by grottel
Good concept but apparently doesn't work that way, the animation continues to run the whole time. Also tried changing the cycle to False but then image would only run once for entire game session

So unfortunately, as of now, the only known way of forcing animations to restart is reloading the UI.
Old 09-30-2002, 06:52 AM   #42
Xitix
A Fire Beetle

The clock and bar timers don't work together because too many object names are the same between them. Some of the duplicates that give errors are: FT_TimerTabBorder, FT_TimerPageBorder, TimerPage0 at which point I stopped trying manual edits. The result is "[Mon Sep 30 08:07:20 2002] [Line:673 Source:UIFiles\custom\EQUI_HelpWnd.xml] Schema error - Duplicate item TimerPage0" and then "[Mon Sep 30 08:07:20 2002] Error loading skin: loading default skin instead."

Latest News: Ok to get them to work together open whatever XML file your bar timers are in and do a global replace on Timer with BarTimer. Then rename Timers.tga to BarTimers.tga.

Clock & Bar timers both on screen (different windows) rocks. I can time all my mez'es by watching the tick clock while I use bar timers for buffs (KEI/VoG/GRM) and a few bar timers of 20 min each to roughly track respawn. Great work on the bar timers!

Last edited by Xitix : 09-30-2002 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-30-2002, 11:47 AM   #43
bumbleroot
A Ghoul

Default I love this but...

I've downloaded the XML file into my UI folder as well as the graphics for it. I've tried downloading it as a bug and a pet window. Everytime I do this my UI decides to default to my EQ default window. Is there something wrong with the file? Is there anything I can do to fix this?
Old 09-30-2002, 11:54 AM   #44
Arista
TimerMod Creator

Quote:
Originally posted by Xitix
The clock and bar timers don't work together because too many object names are the same between them. Some of the duplicates that give errors are: FT_TimerTabBorder, FT_TimerPageBorder, TimerPage0 at which point I stopped trying manual edits. The result is "[Mon Sep 30 08:07:20 2002] [Line:673 Source:UIFiles\custom\EQUI_HelpWnd.xml] Schema error - Duplicate item TimerPage0" and then "[Mon Sep 30 08:07:20 2002] Error loading skin: loading default skin instead."

Latest News: Ok to get them to work together open whatever XML file your bar timers are in and do a global replace on Timer with BarTimer. Then rename Timers.tga to BarTimers.tga.

Clock & Bar timers both on screen (different windows) rocks. I can time all my mez'es by watching the tick clock while I use bar timers for buffs (KEI/VoG/GRM) and a few bar timers of 20 min each to roughly track respawn. Great work on the bar timers!

Oh yeah, I forgot that some of the stuff got renamed after I finished doing my testing (which used temp names). And yes, some of those items names are duplicated, which would cause errors. I'll update the XML generator tonight to allow the timers to work together. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 09-30-2002, 12:00 PM   #45
Arista
TimerMod Creator

Default Re: I love this but...

Quote:
Originally posted by bumbleroot
I've downloaded the XML file into my UI folder as well as the graphics for it. I've tried downloading it as a bug and a pet window. Everytime I do this my UI decides to default to my EQ default window. Is there something wrong with the file? Is there anything I can do to fix this?

This is a similar problem to the one described above, that occurs when you try to use the slider timer and the dial/digital timer together. However, in this case you are using two sets of slider timers together, so the code generated will be the same for both.

To get this to work, you will have to remove (or rename) the shared named items from ONE of the slider timers, and rename other duplicated items.

I will modify the XML generator for those who want to generate more than one set of slider timers, in different windows. This will automatically generate a different name for everything in the window, and will also resolve the problem in the previous post. The names generated will be based on the name of the window being used, which will ensure uniqueness among the items.

Look for the updates tonight - I'll post again when they are available.

Last edited by Arista : 09-30-2002 at 12:12 PM.