Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > Developer Discussion > Graphics modification help.
User Name
Password

Old 11-07-2002, 12:14 AM   #16
tadashya
Pixel Pusher

Server: erollisi marr
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Send a message via ICQ to tadashya Send a message via AIM to tadashya

photoshop 7 is definately prime choice for pic editing

Original Artwork by Tadashya my current favorite sig slice
tadashya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 01:28 AM   #17
Kudane
Co-Founder

Server: Xegony

Cair,

I have done TGAs with 5 and 6... its not the transparancy of the layer that needs to be fixed..

its ALPHA channel

In this image you can see the frame that Xym uses for the compass

Now if you switch from layers to alpha as in this picture

You will see Alpha 1 channel, in this picture i have enable it only

Now on this channel ONLY stuff in while will show through, soo for this example i have erased the left and right filagry ONLY on the alpha channel

Now, if you turn the RGB Channels Back on WITH the Alpha Channel Like this picture

You will see both the full color image, and a "red" mask that is the alpha 1 channel, notice how the filagry is still there on the color image but the alpha channel has it erased.

Save the file as a TGA File, 32-bit, (no transparent Background you notice above)

when you load it in game this is what you would see

TA DA!!!

Soooo dont worry about that background.. it can be black, white, or any color.. Transparency is determined on the alpha channel.. 100% black NOTHING Shows. 100% white Whole thing shows.. 50% black (grey) and you get semi transparency

hope this helps

Kudane
Kudane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 12:20 AM   #18
Kudane
Co-Founder

I am sorry the above instructions are for Photoshop not Paintshop (both PS abriviations)

sorry

.: Have a question? Read this :.
[ F.A.Q ]
Old 11-11-2002, 12:24 AM   #19
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

*Hugs Kudane* Nothing to apologize for, an attempt to help is never anything to be sorry about. Besides which, even though it's not for the same program, the instructions still help explain some of the stuff I (and likely others) were having problems figuring out. Thanks Kudz

Co-Founder & Admin: MMOUI
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Cairenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 11:09 AM   #20
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

*dances around, chanting "I did it I did it I did it! Yay I did it Wheee! I got it to work! I did it!"*
Old 12-09-2002, 11:31 AM   #21
Kudane
Co-Founder

I have gotten photoshop 7 now. and it now uses transparant layers instead of alpha channel..

sooo the above instr, are for 5 or 6 for sure..
Old 12-09-2002, 11:36 AM   #22
Lanys.Neoconker
A Shissar Defiler

Server: Lanys T'Vyl
Send a message via ICQ to Lanys.Neoconker Send a message via AIM to Lanys.Neoconker Send a message via Yahoo to Lanys.Neoconker

Hey Guys,
I been reading around at school (finished my test early), and this information is great! The only thing I'd like to say is, why don't you guys get Photoshop 7?

(Removed Warez Info)

And be ready for a new mod, I'll be getting one out soon.

Edit: Sorry to remove Warez info and S/N info, but we can support such activities on a public board. However what you tell people in Private Messages they send you, we can not control. (hopefully you see where I am going with this) - Kudane

<Savage Circle>
One Mind. Any Weapon.
- Hunter B. Armstrong
Say NO to overly-broad EULAs. Your computer is YOURS and so is the content on it. If you do not protect and defend your own privacy then expect it to be violated. (Courtesy of Garryck)

Last edited by Kudane : 12-09-2002 at 12:24 PM.
Lanys.Neoconker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 03:48 PM   #23
jobeken
A Shissar Disciple

Yet again I post for your image editing needs...

http://www.gimp.org

It has almost every feature of Photoshop, is easy to use, works flawlessly with images of every type it supports and can read from and write to photoshop AND paint shop pro files....

The best part beyond that is that it is 100% and completely FREE and can be used on UNIX & Windows....

http://www.gimp.org - main website
http://www.wingimp.org - windows version
http://www2.arnes.si/~sopjsimo/gimp/ - alternate download site with plug-ins and stuff all ready to go...

Enjoy it FREEly...
Old 01-24-2003, 02:16 PM   #24
wbbuch
A Hill Giant

Default A little confused

Ok - color me confused, or maybe just an idiot... I'm still unclear about one thing.

Is the Alpha Channel where you put the graphics that you WANT to see, or is it for the areas that should be Transparent?

In other words... say I'm doing a simlpe .gif file with transparency. I usually use a Hot Pink color to be my transparent color. Any background areas that I want to disappear in the final viewing of the .gif I make them Hot Pink, define that as the transparent color, and presto - gone.

Now - thinking along the lines of a .tga file with an Alpha Channel. If I want those same Hot Pink areas to "disappear" do I put the HOT PINK stuff on the Alhpa Channel, or do I put my picture on the Alpha Channel?

Sorry to be such a stooge - I'm one of those folks that learns much better if someone Shows me as opposed to reading instructions - so readiing you advise here I tend to catch on a bit slower. Anyone wanna come to my house and give me PSP 6 Lessons?
wbbuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 02:27 PM   #25
Talyns
The Tablets Guy

Server: Lanys

The pink color (<R>255 <G>0 <B>255) is ignored by Everquests UI Drawing routines... If you use that method you don't have to worry about the alpha channel.. Just make sure there isn't one..

If you want to use the alpha channel method.. Rolleo explained pretty simple way in this thread about 4 post down:

http://www.eqgui.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4717

edit: changed "Direct3d" to "Everquests UI Drawing routines" before I get a programmer telling me I'm wrong
-Hawkren (20 SHM)

Last edited by Talyns : 01-24-2003 at 05:07 PM.
Talyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 11:33 AM   #26
Curumtiny
A Shissar Defiler

Server: Tarew Marr

So Cairenn,

What program did you finaly go with? Was it the Trial version? I am thinking of trying to download and try these things out.

If you have any links of where I may download one of these programs I would appreciate it..

Curumtiny Call Me Yoda
Gnome Warrior (GnomeLord) Level 65
Tarrew Marr
Guild Officer: Invictus Verite
Click on Signiture for Magelo Profile
Curumtiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 11:53 AM   #27
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

I played around with the trial program, aye. Having been using PSP5, switching to the trial PSP7 was easy for me.
Old 02-11-2003, 12:42 PM   #28
Drakah
Skinning Guru

Default Kudane...

Quote:
Originally posted by Kudane
I have gotten photoshop 7 now. and it now uses transparant layers instead of alpha channel..

sooo the above instr, are for 5 or 6 for sure..

Photoshop7 does use Alpha channel as the previous version did. You have to download the patch though in order to get that feature to work. You can download it at adobe.com.
Drakah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 07:40 PM   #29
Celolith
A Gray Wolf

Default PS7 and TGA files

I dont know if i would call that a patch.. Targa files shouldnt really have an alpha channel per the Targa specs thus PhotoShop 7 conformed to the correct usage of Targa files
Celolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 01:00 PM   #30
Kungpo
A Snow Cougar

I too am using Gimp for windows ...making my own transparencies is not problem ... but when editing someone else's work ...i find it easier for me to add aplpha channel and send alpha to selector ..and using selector to cut out the pieices arounf the image i want transparent =) ...i did find an easier way ...but cant remember what i did to do it =P ....some how on one image i inverted the selector to go around the image and cutted out the background to make it transparent ...

Sure gimp has a guide how to do this probably ..i just been to lazy to read the docs or the tool tips =P
Kungpo is offline   Reply With Quote