Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > Developer Discussion > General authoring help / discussion
User Name
Password

Old 07-31-2002, 03:23 AM   #1
Junu Peeth
A Gray Wolf

Default Files Patched on 30/07/02

These files in the /uifiles/default folder were modified with the last patch:

window_pieces02
gemicons02
EQUI_TrainWindow
EQUI_TextEntryWnd
EQUI_SkillsWindow
EQUI_BazaarSearchWnd
EQUI_Animations
EQUI

Just thought I should let you all know.
Junu Peeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 03:53 AM   #2
Dolby
Lord Dolby of Veeshan

Server: Veeshan

Quote:
July 30, 2002 12:00 am
------------------------------

We apologize for updating the servers on such short notice. As a bonus, /hitsmode functionality is now available in the new UI. Please check out the context (right-click) menus from New UI Chat windows. Hopefully this version is somewhat easier to understand.

** General Enhancements and Tweaks **

- NPC and PC names display settings should be saved between sessions.
- Bazaar Search Window is now resizable.
- Disabled Begging and Stealing in the Bazaar
- The New UI Train window no longer cuts off any skill names for INT casters.

- The EverQuest Team

Thanks for listing the file changes Junu
Dolby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 03:55 AM   #3
Junu Peeth
A Gray Wolf

I couldnt find a way to edit my post. Here are some more files that have been changed:

SIDL
EQUI_SocialEditWnd
EQUI_SelectorWnd
EQUI_OptionsWindow
EQUI_BazaarWnd
EQUI_ActionsWindow
Old 07-31-2002, 04:19 AM   #4
Dolby
Lord Dolby of Veeshan

Server: Veeshan

The EDIT Button in the lower right hand corner of your post doesnt work?
Dolby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 04:37 AM   #5
Junu Peeth
A Gray Wolf

You mean the one thats not too far from the REPLY button but I couldn't find until now?

Umm, it must have been bugged or something. LOL
Old 07-31-2002, 03:04 PM   #6
Woody
GUComics Creator

Where it helps to see exactly what files have been editted... the true complexity comes in locating the actual changes.

As the artist for GU Comics, I'm making extensive changes to the UI so I can't just save over the new file change one line and continue about my business. I have to do a seek and destroy... er seek and alter... mission and hope I didn't miss anything.

I've already requested that exact changes be logged officially and outlined on the EQ site, but I doubt GU has enough pull to swing that.

SO... while you're fixing your files... could you try to keep track of exactly what has been changed? And, keep track of them here?

It would really help a good number of us out.
Old 07-31-2002, 03:30 PM   #7
Eilim Cu'Firinn
A Fire Beetle

You might want to check out Beyond Compare ( http://www.scootersoftware.com/ ) . I keep a "reference" copy of the default directory and just compare it to the standard default after patches. The program will highlight any files with differences, then with a simple click will take you too a side by side comparison with all differences within the file highlighted.

I had all my mods updated and re-installed rather painlessly within a few minutes using it.
Eilim Cu'Firinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 04:03 PM   #8
Cinius Shade
A Ghoul

Anyone that is making changes to the UI better be keeping the default directory as well as an original copy in another folder.

Umm..that's just my 2 cents.

What we need to do is get Verant to create a seperate folder in the UI folder. Label it updates. When we patch and get a UI update it should update both the Default and the Update folder. That would make hunting down all their changes alot easier.

The biggest changes in this patch that we should really be concerned with are to the Ui.xml and the animations.xml as well as any tga files.

Cinius
Cinius Shade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 04:15 PM   #9
Woody
GUComics Creator

Thanks Eilim, I'll give that comparison tool a shot.

----- Update -----

Eilim, I downloaded that program, ran it and started doing file comparisons and it's great.

I owe you one.

Last edited by Woody : 07-31-2002 at 04:25 PM.
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 04:25 PM   #10
Pini Uldar
A Shissar Disciple

Non-file notes:
It seems like the tga files are cached now. They don't seem to be changing on zoning. This means that window_pieces01 that gets loaded on character select stays loaded even if you have a custom version of it in your skin.

Also new, if a file isn't found in your skin directory, it uses the default version. So if you haven't changed EQUI_BankWnd.xml for example, you can just leave it out of your skin directory and it will fall back on the default one.

File Change notes:

[window_pieces02]
Edges of the Spell gem background in the lower right corner were cleaned up.

[gemicons02]
The files aren't binary match, but I couldn't find a visual difference.

[EQUI_TrainWindow]
Minimal width readjustment.

[EQUI_TextEntryWnd]
Fixed up. I believe this wasn't used at all before and was a cut and paste job from QuantityWindow. Now it is used for renaming Chat windows (right click on title bar - Rename Window).

[EQUI_SkillsWindow]
Minor anchor offset changes make the window layout change a bit, but nothing major.

[EQUI_BazaarSearchWnd]
Had the listbox changed from absolute sized to being autostretched. Note that the listbox contents that are hard coded request A_DividerVertical. If EQUI_Animations doesn't contain this, then you will crash to desktop when doing /bazaar.

[EQUI_Animations]
Had A_DividerVertical added. This is used by the new resizeable multi-column listbox in the Bazaar Search Window. If this is not added, you will crash on /bazaar.

[EQUI]
Had EQUI_TextEntryWnd.xml added as an Include.

[SIDL]
[EQUI_SocialEditWnd]
[EQUI_SelectorWnd]
[EQUI_OptionsWindow]
[EQUI_BazaarWnd]
[EQUI_ActionsWindow]
I couldn't find any actual changes to these files except for whitespace and carriage-return changes. diff -b -B said the files matched.

- Pini
Pini Uldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 05:07 PM   #11
Woody
GUComics Creator

Based on the program Eilim linked me to, I see those same cahnges Pini.

The main problem I had was, I've been skinning the UI since it was on test, so my gem icons were COMPLETELY different. So in order to work everything out, I had to change the way I was displaying the gems. Honestly I like my old way better, but Roy told me most casters prefer the changes Verant made to the gems just before the new UI went live on all servers.

So... I grudgingly gave in and changed my graphics.
Oh well.

Oh and Eilim... I had to do some major 'manual alignment" in the Animation file. **grins** That's what happens when you make major changes and add a good many graphics huh?
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 05:32 PM   #12
Cinius Shade
A Ghoul

"It seems like the tga files are cached now. They don't seem to be changing on zoning. This means that window_pieces01 that gets loaded on character select stays loaded even if you have a custom version of it in your skin."

Zoning for updates like these were unrealiable before the patch for me at least... however the load UI command works just fine.

Zoning for updates was a waste of load time IMO use the /load directoryUI 1 command and you can just sit there for it.

Cin
Old 07-31-2002, 05:45 PM   #13
Pini Uldar
A Shissar Disciple

I've never seen /loadskin cause the tga files to be reloaded. If you're just doing XML layout sure. But if you're dinking with titlebars or spell icons, then you need to do something to cause the tga file to be cached.

Before this patch, zoning would accomplish this for me. After this patch, it seemed to me like they weren't reloading. This was evidenced by window_pieces01.tga being the default one even after I loaded my skin and zoned. I then put a big red splotch in the middle of my koa icon and zoned and no big red splotch. Thus I think the graphics files are being cached now because it would explain both those things.

I could be wrong though.

- Pini
Pini Uldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 05:59 PM   #14
Cinius Shade
A Ghoul

Ahh yeah, I see what you're saying... could be different...before the patch Zoning for me wouldn't update anything, tga, xml...everything seemed to be cached.

I'm still playing with things tho so I don't know it all and am probably mistaken on alot

On the irritating side... Shownames is still not working.

What about asking for an update folder in the UI folder so we don't have to dig and compare and figure out what files were changed?

Cin
Old 07-31-2002, 07:17 PM   #15
xlorepdarkhelm
Enhanced Imperial Golem

Server: Xegony
Send a message via AIM to xlorepdarkhelm Send a message via Yahoo to xlorepdarkhelm

Any idea how to circumvent the caching, so it loads the mod you want, rather than keeping the original graphics?

Magelo
Guild Website
xlorepdarkhelm is offline   Reply With Quote