Go Back   EQInterface Forums > General Discussion > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Old 08-07-2004, 01:28 AM   #1
Aramil Dannodel
A Shissar Disciple

Server: Combine
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Send a message via AIM to Aramil Dannodel Send a message via MSN to Aramil Dannodel
Exclamation Important Warning Regarding NVidia's Latest Drivers

Just a small notice, to everyone.

Up until yesterday, I had been using NVidia's 56.72 graphic display drivers (running a GeForce II MX/MX 400...aye, I know, in desperate need of an upgrade. Heh), and then I checked their site. I noticed they had a new driver version up (61.77), so I promptly set myself to downloading and installing them.

Well, it seemed fine until the install was nearly complete. I received an error stating that these drivers were not Microsoft certified to be compliant...I thought it odd, but then, even XP tends to be a bit picky about certain things at times, so I thought nothing of it. Finished the install, rebooted, and everything seemed fine. Everything was fine (*was* being the key word)...until I got to the character selection screen. Most of the character models (I have all the Luclin ones up) were displaying improperly, and the textures were not showing up right. I logged in, anyways, just to check...to find massive graphical errors. Nearly like corrupted texture files, about 75% of the models on characters, environment, etc were *not* displaying properly.

I promptly exited, then reinstalled the old (56.71) drivers. After a fresh reboot (and yes, a warning that I was attempting to overwrite my drivers with an older version, to which I could not click "Yes" fast enough), I logged back in, and 'lo and behold...everything was fine. I have absolutely no idea if anyone else has experienced similar trouble, but I wanted to put a warning out to everyone, and hopefully we'll see if anyone else has gone through the same dilemma. I'd just like to make sure I have my facts all locked in that it is indeed something wrong with the drivers (perhaps it could have even been a corrupt download...who knows? A million possiblities), because if it is, I want to get on NVidia's case right away about this problem so they can get a fix out to it. Once again, if you're planning on updating to the 61.77 drivers for your NVidia video card, please be aware that you may experience trouble with your character and environment models in EverQuest.

Be safe, and be sure to imput your feedback towards this matter on similar experiences or even if you've had no trouble at all.

Ameril Dan`nodel
55th Seasoned Warder
<Soldiers of Norrath>
[ Lanys T`Vyl server ]
Aramil Dannodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 01:34 AM   #2
Dolby
Lord Dolby of Veeshan

Server: Veeshan

I have a 6800GT and those drivers work great as with a couple beta drivers released after those.

If you have time you may want to try and install DirectX 9c with Nvidia's new drivers since thats what they are for really.

Last edited by Dolby : 08-07-2004 at 01:46 AM.
Dolby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 02:03 AM   #3
Aramil Dannodel
A Shissar Disciple

Send a message via AIM to Aramil Dannodel Send a message via MSN to Aramil Dannodel
Lightbulb Re: Important Warning Regarding NVidia's Latest Drivers

Thanks for the feedback, Dolby.

To be honest, that's news to me. Something I'll have to get around to, once I get a chance...trying to relax, this weekend, and keep EverQuest in full screen mode as much as possible (even if it's to have me parked in my character selection screen for a few hours, here and there), so I'll probably get around to that sometime after work on Monday.

Anyways, as I said...just wanted to put out the message, in case there were avenues of correction I missed (as you pointed out), or to hear of similar problems of those that exhausted all the options. Besides, maybe it's just NVidia's way of telling me to upgrade... /sigh Sadly, this poor system hasn't seen such a thing in just over two years, and I don't plan on it. I'd rather keep at saving to buy the parts and build a whole new system from scratch. Bought the last one, and I've never been happy with it...quite a few problems, over the few couple years I did have it.

Thanks again for the imput, and thanks for noticing that. Been so tired lately, I doubt I would have even thought to check. Heh. Safe journeys, to everyone.

Ameril Dan`nodel
55th Seasoned Warder
<Soldiers of Norrath>
[ Lanys T`Vyl server ]
Old 08-07-2004, 09:17 AM   #4
Valgoth Ulv'Sag
A Snow Cougar

There are currently known issues with NVidia MX series cards and the 6x.xx series drivers when running EverQuest. These problems are mostly tinting and texture related.

My wifes machine was having this problem this morning (after I upgraded it to 61.77 & DX9c last night) so I searched SOE's EQ forums and found the statement I posted above. I removed the 61.77 and reverted back to the 56.72 WHQL version which fixed the problems. All coloring and textures appear as they should after going back to the older drivers.

Hope that helps.
Valgoth Ulv'Sag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 11:32 AM   #5
Wolvig
A Shissar Disciple

I wish i had seen this post this morning. Went through the same thing with the same type of card on one of my systems. All the rest have 4's so they work fine. Its definetly not you its the drivers.
Wolvig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 12:10 PM   #6
Valgoth Ulv'Sag
A Snow Cougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvig
I wish i had seen this post this morning. Went through the same thing with the same type of card on one of my systems. All the rest have 4's so they work fine. Its definetly not you its the drivers.

My wifes card is a GF4, but it's a MX440, not a Ti series. My machine is a GF3 Ti500. We have two other machines running GF2 MX400 card, but they're also lower end machines so we have all bells/whistles turned off, so the problem wasn't aparent on those. Only on my wifes GF4 MX440.

It appears to be only related to the MX cards, nothing else. Looks like a good argument to upgrade MY card and give her my Ti500? Think she'll go for that? LOL
Old 08-07-2004, 12:48 PM   #7
Wolvig
A Shissar Disciple

Ok I upgraded to DX 9c and reinstalled the drivers. No go.They work great on my FX 5200 but the geoforce 4's just don't like them.
Old 08-07-2004, 12:50 PM   #8
Wolvig
A Shissar Disciple

By the way my geoforce 4's are also mx 440's.
Old 08-07-2004, 12:55 PM   #9
Inokis
Pale Scrawny Guy

Server: Bristlebane // Erollisi Marr
Send a message via Yahoo to Inokis

I just downloaded and installed DX 9.0c. I then decided to try the new version of drivers since the 56.64 were crappy. So far no problems using a geforce 4 ti 4200 128.
Old 08-07-2004, 02:17 PM   #10
Valgoth Ulv'Sag
A Snow Cougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvig
By the way my geoforce 4's are also mx 440's.

You need to go back to the 56.72 drivers if you're having problems with MX series cards and the 6x.xx drivers. That's what fixed my problems, and what was recommended on SOE's forums.
Old 08-07-2004, 03:22 PM   #11
Aramil Dannodel
A Shissar Disciple

Thumbs up Re: Important Warning Regarding NVidia's Latest Drivers

Alright, so the problem seems mainly to be that the drivers aren't co-operating properly with NVidia's MX series of video cards. I'll get right on that to hassle NVidia, regarding this, and see if they can take a look into it.

Thanks to everyone for the solid feedback, it's genuinely appreciated. Hopefully, we can get NVidia to take a look at their latest drivers so that they can solve any conflictual problems in them for the people that are experiencing trouble. Thanks again for all the imput, and do try to be safe, in Norrath, or out.

If any of you ever need a hand, in-game, just give a yell, and I'll assist you in any way possible.

Ameril Dan`nodel
55th Seasoned Warder
<Soldiers of Norrath>
[ Lanys T`Vyl server ]

"If you can't see me...you're not looking hard enough."
Old 08-07-2004, 05:00 PM   #12
kenney
Bad Ass Kitty

Server: if you know me you know =P

also not working right with the FX series ...
kenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 05:20 PM   #13
mortis42
eqmods.mortis42.net

Server: Rodcet Nife
Send a message via ICQ to mortis42 Send a message via AIM to mortis42 Send a message via MSN to mortis42 Send a message via Yahoo to mortis42

I'm running DX9.0c and the 61.76 nVidia drivers on my GF4 ti4200 and FX5200 just fine. The 61.76 drivers are WHQL certified, unlike the 61.77 drivers.
mortis42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 05:30 PM   #14
Taleisin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortis42
I'm running DX9.0c and the 61.76 nVidia drivers on my GF4 ti4200 and FX5200 just fine. The 61.76 drivers are WHQL certified, unlike the 61.77 drivers.

I'd have to say I agree with mort, the 61.76 is the best driver yet..

61.77 and the old 52.xx driver are having trouble with the XP SP2. I'll be writing a review on XP SP2 with EQ in a few days, if anyone is interested I'll post a copy of it here
Old 08-11-2004, 09:30 AM   #15
TimeTraveller
A Gray Wolf

Server: Project 1999

Hi Taleisin,

it would be great, to read the review.
I would be happy if you could post a copy here.

Thank you very much in advance.
TimeTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote