Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > Developer Discussion > Graphics modification help.
User Name
Password

Old 09-26-2002, 12:31 PM   #1
Serilla
A Gray Wolf

Default Modifying spell gems cast window graphics..

I modified my spell gems window to have a different background, I have the backgrond to the left and the gem layouts next to it, this is a modified version of Abattoirv (moving spell gems to the main window area next to invetory). My problem is when I save and go into the editor, my gems now have a white background, when I go into the game they still have the white bacground in a square formatt around the oval gems.
I read that saving a certain way will correct this. I have tried a few things but cant seem to get it to work. I guess I need parts of the gems transparent. I am using Paintshop Pro 7.

When I save it tells me it must save in a merged format.

I guess what im asking is exactly what do I do to get this to come out correctly.

My only clue so far:
Magic wand background and any parts I want transparent, select invert, then save to alpha channel 1. ( I havnt tried this yet, I just wanna make sure I am not missing something )
Serilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 08:07 AM   #2
Odaku
A Treant

Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

I use PSP as well but it has never told me I HAD to save in merged format.....I'll go home today and try what you did to see what pops up....
Odaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 11:06 AM   #3
Arista
TimerMod Creator

Yes, you'll need to select all the visible (non-transparent) portions of your image, and save that selection in the alpha channel. Magic-wanding the background then inverting is one way to get the selection, but can result in a non-optimal selection area depending on the tolerance and colors used.

I personally use layers to get the job done. When creating a new image, I use a PSP-format file (I'm using PSP7 as well), and put the actual elements in separate layers from the background. When I'm done, I do the following:

1. If I have elements in more than one layer (aside from the background), I temporarily toggle off the background layer, then use "merge visible" to merge the remaining layers into one layer(background layer can then be toggled back on).
2. I now have all the elements in one layer, separate from the background layer. With the "element" layer highlighted in the layer palette, I do a Ctrl+A (select all), which will result in a selected box around the entire image.
3. Then, I Ctrl+F (float the selection). This will change the selection outline to outline your elements exactly. I then save the current selection into the alpha channel.
4. Once the alpha channel has been saved, I clear the selection, then save the file as a TGA file. Since I have an "elements" layer and a "background" layer, and TGAs don't support layers, it will display the "image will be saved in a merged format" message (which is fine). I click OK and save the TGA.

The above steps have worked well for me in terms of creating images for the EQ UI with PSP7.

Arista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 03:13 PM   #4
Earthscum
A Shissar Disciple

Server: Quellious
Send a message via AIM to Earthscum Send a message via Yahoo to Earthscum

I never thought of using the float to do that, but again the way I do my graphics I usually have some areas that are semi-transparent, so I figured I'd make a note on this here:

If you do use this, remember that any semi-transparent edges will be "tinted" by the background. Say, for example, you use a blue background for ease of telling where your images start and stop, you may want to make a new layer to be placed under your graphics (a sub-background), then load your selection (Alpha channel) and select the new transparent layer. Now, with all the outlines defined, you can do a fill of whatever color you want merged so that you don't get a blue tint (or whatever color you use) but you still have your background that is brighter and easier to define edges. When you save it and it merges the layers, you will have some nice looking graphics! I also use this method for creating my shade (multiply) layers.

An easier option would just be to simply fill the background with the appropriate color, but if you use darker graphics with a dark background it makes it harder to see exactly where the edges start and stop, making it harder to code your XML files.

I actually found this out the hard way while doing some web page graphics. Everything looked fine until I saved it and ran a test run to find that the background made the foreground colors a different tint or shade, and everything was off.