Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > General Discussion > Request
User Name
Password

Old 05-09-2003, 11:06 AM   #1
Tuneful
A Gray Wolf

Question There are no Bard UI systems out there

One thing I've noticed is there is a UI for just about every class out there and I like most of them. I have searched for a while, yet I haven't found the UI components that will help with most of everthing the bard class needs. (functionally and graphically speaking)

As it is with any character class wasted time is rather troublesum on certain occations. With bards we waste major part of our time on everyday tasks like switching instruments and back to weapons.

The MAIN thing needed for bards is some sort of system to make the swaping of bard instruments and weapons quicker and simpler.

A backpack and a couple weapon slots in your hotkey boxes to get gear ready is not as quick as easy it could be. This is rather troublesom when there is sudden danger inflicted upon you and your group.

In a lot of cases the time in between moments to switch items and being ready for any unexpected situation at hand can mean the difference between surviving and sudden death for a bard who has instrument and weapons to deal with. For most us it is mostly time thrown out the window when in fact it could been better handled.

The purpose of this site and many others is to come up with and provide multiple UI systems that could work better for a person and/or class. That one particular bard issue with time is very simple yet very troubling.

Possible Solution:

Correct me if I'm wrong but this troublesum issue with swapping intruments is easily correctable if there was some way to create a tabkey function or some other means would make the swapping of instruments and weapons easier.

If there are a few good UI systems for bards out there that you might know of please post them here. A lot of people have been searching in vain for quite a while a good Bardish UI.

The whole thing brings out mixed emotions ~Laughs~
Tuneful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 12:22 PM   #2
RobynnMerrilin
A Treant

Server: E'ci
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Send a message via ICQ to RobynnMerrilin Send a message via AIM to RobynnMerrilin

Have you looked at the Concert Hall or EQ Diva? There are whole forums at those places devoted to Bard created UIs.
Old 05-09-2003, 12:29 PM   #3
Zantral
A Snow Griffin

I'll upload mine for you
Zantral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 02:10 PM   #4
Aerasin
A Snow Cougar

Server: Drinal

As far as I know, the best you are going to get is a UI that has the instruments and your weapon slot side by side. Of course that can easily be done with the default hot bar. I don't think anything more automated (like a button called 'mandolin' that automatically switches out your weapons slots for your mandolin) is possible.

My main is a bard and I've been toying with the idea of making a spell bar that looks like a flute. Probably not what you wanted to hear though.
Old 05-27-2003, 02:40 AM   #5
Tuneful
A Gray Wolf

Default What this site needs

Not to be a stick in the mud, but don't you think there are not enough high quality UIs out there?

It seems like you see plenty of interfaces that are fitting for almost every class, <but> doesn't there seem to be a lack of certain interfaces like bards to choose from? I tried and reviewed a number of interfaces because of ease of use and artistry but they all still looked as though they could use a bit of work done to them or a little more artistic talent.

It seems like everyone borrows a UI from someone else to make up their own complete GUI display screen. Those borrowed UIs look good but they often are not ingenious enough to be of efficient use to a classes like my bard who is always swaps weapons and instruments in their hotbuttons or weapon slots.

Don’t we want something that doesn't take <half of our game screen> away from us but looks graphically awesome and like our class? Wouldn’t it be wonderful to see timers, MP3 players and other things like pet control boxes as added features that looked and felt as if they belonged to the class we specify to use them for? <As an add note please make a nice bard UI ~laughs~>

There should be class related links to specified classes like bards for instants, to submit their ideas for a UI and/or nice art for a specified art submission page. All these concepts could be adding inspiration to other UI designers. Art by a selected artist could be either hand drawn or using Paint Shop Pro7 for framework or wallpaper to use in the framework design then rendered by the designers into the GUI.

Another thing that should be implemented into this sight is a forum to gather some of the best artists together to collaborate on special projects on one class specified UI per month in alphabetical order to keep people in check on what is the next class to be worked on and the designer can’t fight over which class specified GUI everyone should work on. If the class specified GUI was wonderful enough, people would pay to use the one they really liked and this site could support everyone better under this sort of system.

Me personally, I want a really good bard GUI, I guess no one is up to the artistic challenge to make eye candy looks and effects for the bard.

Is there a suggestion poll page or is this as good as it gets? If this is the only suggestion page there is then how will everyone vote on a good suggestion or two before a UI comes out?
Tuneful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 02:51 AM   #6
aldeneb
A Wooly Rhino

Just Like Bard to go off Half-cocked without really taking the time to research and learn (Yep that's what you Bard Classes are you know.. Unschooled Entertainers.. otherwise you'd be Druids.. HAHA..

As for Bard UI's unless you want notes on every background check out my OldCelt02. I have a tabbed Hotbutton Box dedicated to Melee and Bards. It has your Primary Secondary Range and Ammo Slots above.. and First thru 4th Bags slots beneath them.. Very easy switch out. And ya it's Artistic. If you want your switch 'ever so prominent' check out OCB Melee It has the target bar with the slots right on it. As for your gameplay area being lost in 1280 x 1024.. there's no loss if you set your viewport accurately.
Full screen with trans windows distracts me and i'n my humble opinion' having everything ready at my fingertips NOW is much more efficient
aldeneb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 02:56 AM   #7
Haliken
Quintessence of EQUI XML

M'k. Here's what I think might be a pretty fundamental problem: I personally don't think UIs should be "class specific" the way you (and plenty of others) do. And there are people who also agree with me as well. In fact I don't think we should even differentiate between caster and meleer UIs; just make it for a caster and the meleer will get the same thing minus the mana gauge.

While it'd be nice for eqinterface.com to have subsections to download class specific UIs for those who feel they made a UI that's specific to one class, it will limit the chances of the UI being downloaded by people who play other classes and exploring the UI possibilities that are out there.

Why do you think the best artists would want to work together to make a UI? And what about us XML coders; it's not like the UIs are just targa files. I see myself as being in competition with the other UI makers to make the most popular AND functional UI; one that appeals to a wide variety of people, not just one class. I don't think I'd ever work together with another XML coder on a UI.

Quote:
Me personally, I want a really good bard GUI, I guess no one is up to the artistic challenge to make eye candy looks and effects for the bard.

There are so many beautiful UIs out there it's not even funny, there are plenty that don't take up half the screen either (I personally prefer the modular UIs). I understand you want what you think is a "really good bard GUI" but why not just grab one that's really pretty and throw in a bag mod with weapon slots so you can fast switch? The only bard specific UI thing I know of is putting the primary and secondary slots in containers for easy switching. There are a few UI changes that are useful to some classes and not to others, but not many.

Enok

P.S. - You're a stick in the mud. There's a buttload of high quality UIs out there.

P.P.S. - Delete your thread in the Wish List forum.
Haliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 04:09 AM   #8
Vindico
Duct Tape Assasin

Server: Fennin Ro
Send a message via ICQ to Vindico Send a message via AIM to Vindico Send a message via MSN to Vindico Send a message via Yahoo to Vindico
Thumbs down

boooo

Quote:
but don't you think there are not enough high quality UIs out there

Who exactly are you talking to, and what is your idea of high quality?

Here's an idea... Study up on "high quality" design and create your own UI. Since Everquest does not force the use of third party UI's, I don't see it necessary to have said anything at all. I have a ton of respect for the artists and minds that contribute to the UIs and components available here. Suggestions are welcome my friend, but please don't come here and display your lack of satisfaction for the hours we've spent (for free) to make things you don't have to download.
Vindico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 08:15 AM   #9
Kuvasie
A Tempest Toad

Server: Luclin
Featured Artist

When I read this last night, it struck me the wrong way. I had this very lengthy response written in my head, but decided to save my breath or rather my fingers. I do still find one thing amusing, for someone with only four posts and zero contributions, you sure have a lot of negative things to say about this site.

Kuv

Last edited by Kuvasie : 05-27-2003 at 09:09 AM.
Kuvasie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 08:31 AM   #10
Amitan
a_magician_01

Send a message via ICQ to Amitan Send a message via MSN to Amitan

Just wanted to give you guys this.

/@
\ \
___> \
(__O) \
(____@) \
(____@) \
(__o)_ \
\ \

Thumbs up for you
Amitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 08:37 AM   #11
nwinn
A Tundra Mammoth

Server: druzzil ro

I'm a bard, I raid a lot, I like simple non-lagging UI's so, I used the vert theme, mostly, to make my own. It's not final, I'm constantly tweaking it and probably always will be, but it's not "eye-candy" so you shouldn't use it. :P
Old 05-27-2003, 08:51 AM   #12
Talyns
The Tablets Guy

Server: Lanys
Default Re: What this site needs

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuneful

Another thing that should be implemented into this sight is a forum to gather some of the best artists together to collaborate on special projects on one class specified UI per month in alphabetical order.........

Hey now, I really like this idea!!!
But, let's start with Wizard and go in reverse alphabetical order..

Seriously though.. I think most people designing UI's want them to be useful to groups of classes .. For instance All, Melee, Hybrid, Caster or Pet class... I would suggest looking for one that is geared towards melee/hybrid and adapt it to your needs...

Or you can always learn the simple SIDL/XML and Paintshop/Photoshop and get to work on the Perfect Bard UI..
-Hawkren (20 SHM)
Talyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 03:55 PM   #13
Kilamon
A Snow Cougar

Yeah, bardy. If you want a certain look for bards then sit down with some screen shots and edit out and move around items til you get a graphic representation of what you want. Once you've done that, post and maybe some bored person out there will do some portion of it.

In the meantime, your best bet is to go through and find elements that you like and use them as a cohesive unit. I find piecemeal stuff to be very easy to implement and, if you can get what you want, take an evening to program it yo' damn'd seff'! It's just xml, after all.
Kilamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 04:14 PM   #14
Kudane
Co-Founder

Server: Xegony

Well,

Let me chime in here

BBBBBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONGGGGGGG (bell sound)

First... Vert 2.5a works great for bards, once you use CCake to put what you need in the hotboxes.. you can't really go wrong..

Second I am a 62 bard in one of the higher raiding guilds on my server, I have no trouble raiding or grouping with my current UI (Vert again)

The thing that I see when someone says "there is a good UI for XXXXX Class" is that they tend to either not look, or not like what they found.

There are PLENTY of quality UIs, we have 5 or 6 featured artist currently and many others in the complete UI sets.. Add that to the work Such as Tinkfu has been doing for the Mix-n-match section the odds of you not finding one that works for a bard is ZERO..

NOW, before you say "I didn't find one I could use" remember they way *you* play your bard, and the way *I* play my bard maybe very, very different. and as such you have to figure out what you want the UI to do, and either CREATE IT, or FIND IT..

If you dont find what you want contact one of our featured artist (or an artist that is willing to help) and work with them on what you DO want.

Don't put the responsibilty on this site to make your UI.. we are here as a source of information and files. we provided that much.. past that its up to you!

p.s. I am fairly certain that this is the feeling of the management too, since I *am* part of the management

good luck and let us know how it turns out!

PS. merged your two threads. they were about the same thing. please try and limit to one thread on any specific topic

.: Have a question? Read this :.
[ F.A.Q ]
Kudane is offline   Reply With Quote