Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > Developer Discussion > Graphics modification help.
User Name
Password

Old 08-11-2002, 08:57 AM   #1
Lacer
A Ghoul

Default Big health bars not enough

The way the human brain works. it will not notice that something is missing as easily as it will recognize something new... so the creation of LARGE health meters is really a waste of space, what is required is something with contrast which will show up when health is low... I drew up a quick plan for group player and target bars.

Also there is nothing worse than having the wrong thing targetted, screwing up a CH because you had the NPC targetted accidentally.. or nuking a player thus wasting time.. or attacking a friendly NPC during ring war... just a few examples... so my idea was to make the target name LARGE... health %s and mana bars could be easily added to this... tell me what you think
Lacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 09:15 AM   #2
Kalthanan
A Hill Giant

Server: Cazic Thule
Default Awesome idea

That is an EXCELLENT idea, Lacer.

Making things easier to understand and use is what a user interface is all about. Making things super realistic can be an art... but making things easier to use can be a science.

Someone do this! I'm too busy with my new site lately to do much of anything
Kalthanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 11:50 PM   #3
vertebrae
Featured Artist

Featured Artist

ah this is great, gonna incorporate it into my next update
vertebrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 08:55 AM   #4
Sazzily
A Fire Beetle

I wondered.. why not make it completely inverted.. with the red bars in the screenshot black and the background going from green (100% HP) to yellow (50%) to red (0%)?

Some way you want to see the end of the bar though.. so Grey maybe is better than black.. or some border around the black bar..

On the target health I (as melee) mostly targets mobs so there maybe the coloring should be reversed.. (red = 100&, green = 0%)

Otherwise a very nice idea.. and I look forward to the result..
Sazzily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 07:49 PM   #5
Lacer
A Ghoul

Default kinda forgot about this thread *p

i threw it together and incorporated it into all my skins, i found it is most visible if the texture in the player and group window is turned black or dark gray, eventually i may make it flash at one end.. but for now this is it.... for the best look what i did was copy this file into my ui directory, and then changed:

<Background>A_GaugeBackground</Background>
to
<Background>A_GaugeLines</Background>
on all the bars which are not critical when low (eg. stamina exp AA) makes their background clear.... i like it better than the default background anyway

ill post again when i finish the animated background

... it wouldnt allow me to attach the TGA.. PM me with email adress if you really want it
Lacer is offline   Reply With Quote