Go Back   EQInterface Forums > General Discussion > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Old 12-03-2008, 11:05 PM   #1
Yhor
A Fire Beetle

Default Been away since 1999 (ish)

Hello all!

My name is Yhor (has been since I started gaming in '98). I'm going to be returning to EQ after many years of being away and I'm looking for a place to interact with others and meet new friends. Hopefully this can be an outlet for that since I met many good people at WoWI (EQInterface's 'sister' site).

I'll be starting with an irl friend of mine that I've been gaming with since SWG in 2003. We thought long and hard about whether or not to jump to EQ or not, and after a few months decided to give it a go. Things we are considering now is what are our best options for a decent server (US) and a 'starter guild' (yeah, noobs we are, but those who run these guilds usually aren't and stay in them for great reasons).

Personality... I'm sure you'd like to know a little about each of us (and I'll try to be as honest as possible :P ).
-I'm the guy who hangs out with casuals, but I tend to theorycraft and give 100% to my character in regards to min/max ing. I 'loved' to raid in SWG (PvP) and WoW (PvE), but I like challenge and something more than -easy mode-. I try to be helpful and contribute when / what I can, but I'm pretty blunt with lazy people who beg. I'm "middle aged", so you likely will have mature conversations with me as opposed to l337 speak or cussing every other word. I'm really not much fun, but people tell me they love my company (yeah... LIES!).
-My friend is a good guy who -is casual- and is around the same age as me. He plays MMOs (I think) to escape reality and "be a kid". He takes a little getting used to with abstract humor and is somewhat uncouth. That being said, he truly is fun to have around if you take the time to understand his personality. He plays his characters in an 'unorthodox' fashion, but does so very well for his intended purposes. If there are any replies here, I'll ask him to tell you all more about himself (and tell you how much of a liar I am -haha-).

TL;DR version... sorry for that.
1) Coming back to the game after a (very) long break, as a level 1 newb.
2) Looking for friends (in and out of game .... meaning forums, not irl)
3) Looking for advice for servers and/or guilds (maybe should wait for guilds until higher level?). US server and mature guild
4) Recommendation of a good 'noob' UI. I'm a kid in a toy store when it comes to UIs... keeps things "new and fresh", if that makes sense.

Thanks for reading through my wall of text, I hope to hear from some of you soon.
Yhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:22 AM   #2
wiznut
A Tundra Mammoth

Server: Stromm
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

If i were to roll a new toon, I would definetly choose the maelin server.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:51 PM   #3
Yhor
A Fire Beetle

Thanks Wiznut,

I remember my first character was on Bristlebane and I enjoyed the atmosphere, but a lot can change over 8 years. Why would you suggest Maelin, just out of curiosity, is it for population or the attitude that you might generally find there? Although population is a big plus, I'm looking for a friendly server that is fairly active and not elitist jerks (although every server has them, not all are as obvious as others). Would Maelin likely fit that description?

Also, people reading this might be asking "why is this newb asking these questions here instead of the SOE boards?", my reply is that I trust this community more than I would a general game forum community. I've spent a lot of time in the "sister/brother" forums to this one (WoWI), and I feel the people who look here are likely to be less biased and generally more helpful.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:26 AM   #4
SmileyFAAce_

Playing EverQuest you will need to know some sites..
One being this site for sure! EQInterface.com of corse.
Another site will be Allakhazam :
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/
Another site is Maps for EverQuest :
http://www.mapfiend.net/ .
Also another is EQPlayers :
http://eqplayers.station.sony.com/ .

For the old interface EverQuest used, you can find it here. Haliken made one that is Old_Default:
http://www.eqinterface.com/download....php?s=&id=4612 .

Welcome back!

I am just giving advice.

SmileyFAAce_
Old 12-07-2008, 12:23 AM   #5
Yhor
A Fire Beetle

Thank you, that is some awesome info that I'll be using often.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:58 PM   #6
Blind Aviator
A Bat

Druzzil Ro is a pretty good server for returning players or "noobs". I have been playing there for about 3 years.

I started in January 2000 on another server (can't remember the name now as it no longer exists.) When they split it off I moved to Xev server. When they started merging servers a few years back Xev and Druzzil Ro became one.

Druzzil Ro has several really good lower level guilds that tend to help players.
Lions of the Heart has been an active guild for about 4 years (or more) and they have levels 1-80+. Also Third Foundation of Ro is another good lower level one.

Have a bunch of mid level guilds that raid the mid to high content.

Also we have some pretty high end guilds that raid the end game content if that is your goal.

If you pick Druzzil Ro then give me a tell in game and I will help y'all get acclimated to all the changes over the last 8 years. Can help with gear and quests if necessary.

I am part of the guild Social Anomaly. Look for toons named Lysin or Soladara. I don't play EQ all that much anymore (mostly on WoW right now) but I drop in usually in the evenings. Shoot me a tell if you are on.
Blind Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote