User Name
Password

Old 05-06-2010, 07:33 AM   #1
Pand
A Ghoul

Server: BB
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Default Minimalist UI

This is just a working title. Effectively it should be "What's Left After I Had Stripped The Default UI".

All the great UIs you can get here are so... colourful. IMO, colours on a UI need to have a purpose beyond looking pretty. If they don't have one, they lower the usefulness of the UI.

I've been working on this / updating it ever since the UI became modable.
I just got done updating it to Underfoot and there are zero error messages beyond the 5 you get in the Default UI.

There are no ornaments. No happy smiley gnomes. No vines. No fake stone or dirt backgrounds to blur the text.
Whenever art got in the way of contrast or visibility, it was terminated.

Practically all windows have a semi-transparent background which is different from using the window transparency setting.
If you use the setting, you don't just make the background transparent but also all graphical information on the window, such as the items on the inventory.
Fading the information (the reason why you have that window...) out is clearly not desirable but the largely useless background of a window is welcome to not block out everything else.

Spell icons are EQ classic style - except for a few new symbols that did not have any old style ones.
The reason is that the classic icons are icons - not paintings. The Default spell symbols are a complete failure in the contrast / recognition department. It's all a blur of light effects and shades. That's a no go when working with something like a 40x40 image.

Priority of Mana/End bars changed in the group window.
End is covered up by mana.
Or why would you care about the End level of your cleric?
In normal situations (not OOM or the likes) this effectively colour codes the group window into pure melee and mana user chars.
You get a blue OR a yellow bar with the character.

"Target's Target" (not shown) is a fixed component of the regular target window.
It does not have to be turned on any more but is always and automatically active when the group requirements are met.

Compass? Matter of preferrance, I guess. The Default one is just terribly hard to read.

The map window has a yellow blob under the "you are here" arrow to make it easier to navigate by map alone.
All graphics stripped so the window can now be set to any desired level of transparency without losing the control buttons.

The bazaar search window (not shown) has been cleaned up and the selection windows enlarged for easier navigation.
Scrolling through a boatload of entries with a 4-entries-selection box is... painful.

I use 3 different kinds of Bag window for different characters, depending on which slots they need for their clickies.
(2 with inventory slots, 1 without)

Running multiple layouts or UI styles in easy because all common windows (like the inventory) are loaded from a shared folder (not Default) that they all use.
Less hassle when updating UIs.
Mostly I use this to have different bag windows for several toons.

The Inventory window is still a bit cluttered such as the MANA/END texts overlapping with the values.
Just some tidying up to do.

Very Much Useless buttons like Facepick or AA window removed.
How often do you have to change your face? An easy to hit destroy button sees a lot more use.

I'm torn on the buff window.
Text tags can be useful but then you're limited to tiny icons, losing the recognition value of the icons themselves.
Philosophical issue, I guess.

I can "release" the thing anytime but maybe someone has some useful criticism on it first. =)

Last edited by Pand : 05-06-2010 at 08:10 AM.
Pand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:14 PM   #2
Feclar
A Gray Wolf

Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Did you ever post this anywhere?
Feclar is offline   Reply With Quote