Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > Developer Discussion > General authoring help / discussion
User Name
Password

Old 08-07-2003, 10:46 AM   #1
vbcypher
A Ghoul

Server: Lanys T'val
Send a message via AIM to vbcypher Send a message via Yahoo to vbcypher
Default EQCLIENT.INI ... Call For Files!

Since I could not find anything like this existing on the web...and SOE will not disclose (talked with tech support on this matter) this information to me voluntarily even though they said it would not violate the EULA...I'm working on putting together two things.

#1 - A definitive list of all of the parameters and what their acceptable values are for the EQCLIENT.INI file. When finished, this list will be published for all to review for their own needs.

#2 - A component library (read set of .NET assemblies) encapsulating interaction with this and other related EverQuest configuration files.

So I need everyone's help. If you could send a copy of your EQCLIENT.INI file to eqclientDOTiniATcannedcodeDOTcom (replace DOT & AT with appropriate symbols to help me avoid email harvesters) I would really appreciate it.

Also, if you already know what specific parameters are for you can jot down a little note about them, that would be great. If you also know what the acceptable values for a given parameter are as well that would be superb.

Thank you all in advance,

R. Joe Reich

p.s. - I already have all the parameters and values mapped for the [TEXTCOLORS] section of the file so there is no need to describe those if you feel so inclined.
vbcypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 09:17 AM   #2
vbcypher
A Ghoul

I always used to say it was lame to reply to your own posts, yet here I am... <smiles>

When I set up this request i figured since this was the closest thing I could find to a technical board for EQ, people would have no problems with my request. Or rather at least a couple people wouldn't have a problem with my requests. But alas, not a single post, nor a single email of any of those requested files.

So I'm left to discover what the details of all those keys and values are myself within the ini files. Not fun, but definately not impossible.

I created a noddy little program last night on my laptop (ironically while I was the main healer for a Highpass Keep group) that will sit and listen for file_update notifications of all the *.ini files in the EQ directory and make a backup copy of it the moment any of those files changed. I then proceeded to change every option to every available value they offered. It's take forever to process but I think I got it. I'll still post the results when I get around to finishing it...and if anyone notices anything that needs to be corrected that would be great.

But I guess I don't need the files after all, although they could still prove usefull for finding "hidden" keys in the ini files as EQ only creates sections and keys as it finds it needs those sections and keys. <shrug>

Oh, well, time to start parsing like 20,000 *.ini files <smiles>

R. Joe Reich

p.s. BTW, if anyone wants to save me a chitload of time and link me to a resource that does this already I would be eternally gratefull (and the lame ones that basically Cut & Pasted from EQ's page on the ini files aren't helpful). Thanx again, later all.
Old 08-09-2003, 10:47 AM   #3
issey
A Tundra Mammoth

Server: fv, stormhammer
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

I didn't send anything for several reasons:
I don't know you, I don't know enough to know what info is in the files or how is could be used, and main reason - I don't know enough to know if what you proposed is a violation of the Eula. I love eq to much to get kicked, rotflol.

Good luck
Old 08-09-2003, 10:49 AM   #4
Lazaru5
A Shissar Disciple

Yeah, what he said!
Old 08-12-2003, 12:05 AM   #5
vbcypher
A Ghoul

Quote:
Originally posted by issey
I didn't send anything for several reasons:
I don't know you, I don't know enough to know what info is in the files or how is could be used, and main reason - I don't know enough to know if what you proposed is a violation of the Eula. I love eq to much to get kicked, rotflol.

Good luck

I can understand that...and no worries along those lines. I'm not asking for files anymore as I've already done most the work myself at this point and it would serve no purpose....however, just so you know.

The data within those three files is all the configuration data of yoru game. Nothing like passwords or character names or anything remotely detailed like that. More like things like, window positions, filters (such as battle spam), your social macros, spellsets, text color codes, etc.

Things that you spend all your time configuring, only to have your sister in law sit down and play at your machine while your working and change them all <grin><rolls eyes>

Anyways, as for the EULA part...

Since these files are only configuration data, and only have to do with the appearance and customization of your interface and such it is more a violation to fiddle with these files than it is to create your own custom UIs...in fact that was part of my motivation of posting it to these boards because it's all under the same "basic" concept.

So here's the update. I've managed to finish the eqclient.ini file about 95% of the way through. There are some parameters where the description is "NOT_DEFINED" as I cannot figure out what the frell the values are for it.

IF ANYONE KNOWS THE VALUES FOR ANY OF THE PARAMS LISTED AS "NOT_DEFINED" COULD YOU PLEASE POST THEM?!

Other than that, about to start on the character.ini and ui_character.ini files soon and mapp those out as well...

http://www.cannedcode.com/everquest...figurations.xml

and if you look at the "KEYMAPS" section the validOptions for these are multi-configurable and can be any combination of values located within

http://www.cannedcode.com/everquest...eyscancodes.xml

Hope i'm not the only that finds this information useful...<shrug> ok, off to start the next file.
Old 08-13-2003, 10:15 AM   #6
GrottelTemp
A Ghoul

SOE does list a large number of the EQCLIENT. INI settings at
http://eqlive.station.sony.com/manu....jsp?chapter=21
GrottelTemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 06:20 PM   #7
vbcypher
A Ghoul

Quote:
Originally posted by GrottelTemp
SOE does list a large number of the EQCLIENT. INI settings at
http://eqlive.station.sony.com/manu....jsp?chapter=21

been there, seen those, and it's actually not a "large number", it's less than 1/3 of them actually. I really think the only reason those are there is becuase they are the keys that are most often the cause of player/game issues so the documented that small number of them so they could just link people to the page and let them fix it themselves.

<shrug>
Old 09-19-2003, 07:19 AM   #8
Angahran
Premium Member

I get this when I try to read your file

Quote:
XML Parsing Error: xml processing instruction not at start of external entity
Location: http://www.cannedcode.com/everquest...figurations.xml
Line Number 16, Column 1:<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
Angahran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 11:49 AM   #9
vbcypher
A Ghoul

Quote:
Originally posted by Angahran
I get this when I try to read your file

What Viewer?

Appearantly it doesn't like the fact that I put my comments above my XML directive. Internet Explorer has no problem, nor did XMLSpy (home).
Old 09-24-2003, 12:52 PM   #10
Kudane
Co-Founder

Server: Xegony

Let me take some of the wind out of your conspiracy sails..

the values of "Not_Defined" can be a couple of things..

1. A hotkey with no key assigned.. such as the "switch between last 2 targets" they added.. it was not assigned a key, if you dont assign one.. its "not defined" in your INI

2. names slots on your buddy or ignore list. These have a set amount of slots, and if you dont have 50 people on ignore, most of them go down in your INI as "Not_Defined"

3. You can have 10 spell sets.. as with above, if your not using all 10 slots.... yep you got it... "not defined"

I appreciate you trying to look out for the EQ Community, that is a very commendable effort. But as you discovered, there isnt anything "secret" in the INI files. If there was we would not allow people to post them with thier UIs

side note: The INI files now use the server name instead of a number.. sooo mine changed from Kudane_91.ini to Kudane_Zebuxoruk.ini but this appears to be automatic switch, and have yet to hear of any issues.

/bow

.: Have a question? Read this :.
[ F.A.Q ]
Kudane is offline   Reply With Quote